21 Apr Exponential 2010 Church Planting Conference
Attended the Exponential 2010 Church Planting Conference via the Webcast of it from Orlando FL, heard a lot of good things from some great pastors I follow like Francis Chan, Matt Chandler, Charles Lee, Ed Stetzer .
Efrem Smith brought down the house, he was amazing, first time I heard him speak, will not be the last time.
Thought I’d post my notes from the speakers.
Here are some of my favorite quotes from today that I tweeted out to my followers:
- “No matter how small your church is you’re not too small to be a vehicle of compassion, mercy and justice to ur community.”
- You must risk failure to become a stake holder in the outcome. Alan Hirsch
- “Go be a Star Trek church planter….. go where no man has gone before” Efrem Smith
- You can’t love Jesus and ignore or marginalize his Bride. @edstetzer
- People don’t need to know more to be obedient – they need to be obedient to know more. – @Neil_Cole
- We need a Kingdom-shaped view of the church, not a church-shaped view of the Kingdom ~ Reggie McNeal
- Prayer is rebellion against the status quo. “Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven,”
- Church marketing is a poor substitute for mission/ the Holy Spirit
- Plant THE church, not A church. THE church is NOT a destination. Reggie McNeal #exponential
- We need to be about Kingdom multiplication
- “movements” just another self center church
- Untamed – we’ve domesticated our discipleship and our idea of God. @alanhirsch
- “Jesus didn’t say that God so loved the world that he sent his church.” –@neil_cole
- “We should stop planting churches. We should plant Jesus” ~ @Neil_Cole
- Plant mustard seeds, not movements with one-size fits all packaging @davegibbons
- “Jesus is the Savior, not the church.” –@Neil_Cole
- Hold fast to Biblical worldview vs. the individualistic American worldview– otherwise the SALT will lose its savor!
- “We’re told to love our enemies, but if we can’t even love our brothers how can we love our enemies?” –@neil_cole
- We are not called to safety we are called to follow Jesus, being safe isn’t where Christians need to be.
- Polls are a huge mistake. Moses would have made a huge mistake if he would have taken a poll. @scotthodge
- Ultimate scorecard for the church – How are we doing at blessing the world? – Reggie McNea
- “we have separated compassion, mercy & justice… But God hasn’t.” ~ @efremsmith
- “churches 2 often are holy merry-go-rounds, lights.bells.whistles.attraction, but just goes round in circles”
- “church isn’t an ‘it’ or a ‘what’. Church is a “WHO” ~ Reggie McNeal
- “Christ first, then His mission. My calling & job is not to be better than Jesus.” ~ Matt Chandler
- “don’t just teach about Jesus… Teach them to OBEY God’s commandments.” ~ Matt Chandler
- Be a part of REAL community, not just FB & twitter. If you only eat virtual food, you’re gonna die. ~ Shane Claiborne
- Churches that don’t multiply become a cul-de-sac on the Great Commission highway. #exponential
- To what degree are the people leading the church modeling what they’re asking followers to do? @alanhirsch
- “We (pastors) have trained people to NOT hear Jesus’ voice without hearing ours.” @Neil_Cole
- Want a strategy for your church? Walk in your city and pray, “God, break my heart for what breaks Yours.” – @davegibbons
- Does the fact that we separate “ministry” and “mission” part of the problem?
- “Missional Church: The people of God partnering with Him in His redemptive mission in the world.” Reggie McNeil